This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These Vegan BBQ Tofu Skewers are the perfect main for any summer cookout. They’re grilled to perfection in just minutes and only require 2 simple ingredients – a block of tofu and your favorite BBQ sauce. After trying these super easy and delicious meaty skewers, everyone will be a tofu fan!
These skewers were so much fun to make. There is something special about grilling outside that brings me right back to being a kid. Something about the smell of food being cooked on an open flame is so comforting. Please tell me I’m not alone!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Tofu: Our favorite type of tofu to use is firm block of tofu. It’s a bit softer and more absorbent than extra firm tofu or super firm tofu, but extra firm tofu will work if needed. Avoid using tofu blocks any softer than firm tofu as they are unlikely to hold up well on the grill.
- BBQ sauce: We opted for our homemade vegan BBQ Sauce. It’s sweetened with dates, simple to make and will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. If you’re short on time, substitute in your favorite store-bought barbecue sauce. Be sure to check the ingredients – not all store-bought barbecue sauces are vegan-friendly.
How to Make Grilled Tofu
- Soak the skewers. If you’re using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes before use. This will prevent the sticks from burning on the grill.
- Prep the tofu. Cut the tofu in half lengthwise, then cut the two halves into halves lengthwise again. Lastly, cut the 4 pieces into halves lengthwise again. This should yield 8 long tofu slices.
- Thread the tofu on skewers. Thread the tofu on skewers lengthwise, being sure to skewer to the top without going through the top of the tofu stick. Repeat with all 8 sticks.
- Baste with BBQ sauce. Using a basting brush, liberally coat all sides of the tofu skewers with barbecue sauce.
- Grill. Place the BBQ tofu skewers onto the hot, lightly oiled grill grates. Cook for 2 minutes on each side, or until the barbecue sauce has caramelized and the tofu has visible grill marks on each side. Brush each side with additional barbecue sauce as you turn the tofu. If the tofu begins to burn, lower the heat on your grill.
- Serve. Remove the BBQ tofu skewers from the heat and serve immediately while warm, as desired.
No grill? No problem! These BBQ tofu skewers can be made right on the stovetop using a large cast iron skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat with a tablespoon of olive oil for greasing.
Follow the same recipe instructions through threading the tofu and basting with your favorite BBQ sauce. Then, once the pan is nice and hot, place the tofu directly on the grill pan. Cook on each side for a few minutes, basting with additional barbecue sauce as you go. If you are using a regular large skillet, cook until the edges are crispy and lightly charred. If the tofu begins to burn, lower the heat to medium heat.
Serve as usual with your desired sides while warm! Enjoy!
Grilled BBQ Tofu skewers are the perfect main course to serve alongside your favorite side dishes on warm summer nights. We love serving them with Grilled Corn, Vegan Potato Salad, and Vegan Coleslaw for a complete delicious meal. Or, turn this BBQ tofu into a BBQ tofu sandwich and serve on your favorite burger buns with vegan mayo, vegan coleslaw, and your favorite briny dill pickles.
If you’re interested in more of our favorite side dishes that are suitable for vegan cookouts, check out these recipe ideas:
- Easy Avocado Corn Salad
- Classic Vegan Macaroni Salad
- Vegan Pasta Salad
- Twice Baked Potatoes (can be made on the grill!)
- Vegan Buttermilk Biscuits
- Easy Vegan Antipasto Skewers
- Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Vegan Garlic Bread
You also can’t go wrong with serving our Oven Baked S’mores Dip for the ultimate summer dessert.
Leftover BBQ tofu skewers will keep for up to 4 days when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The skewers can also be frozen, but the texture of the tofu will change once defrosted.
To reheat, place the tofu in the microwave, or quickly reheat in a hot grill pan or on the grill again until warmed through.
BBQ Tofu can stick to the grill if the grill grates aren’t lightly oiled or if the moisture content in the tofu is too high. To avoid this, press the excess water from the tofu using a tofu press or similar method for at least 30 minutes (ideally 1 hour). If you don’t have a tofu press, check out our favorite way to press tofu without a tofu press.
Yes, tofu is safe to eat raw. Unlike when grilling chicken or other animal-based proteins, you don’t need to worry about cooking tofu to a certain internal temperature.
You can marinate the tofu in the BBQ sauce for 30 minutes, but we didn’t find it necessary. If the tofu is pressed well enough, it will absorb the flavor of the homemade BBQ sauce that is brushed on and be plenty flavorful.
More Vegan BBQ Recipes You May Enjoy:
- Vegan Filipino Barbecue – a veganized version of popular Filipino barbecue! Everyone will love this recipe, vegan or not.
- BBQ Tofu Sandwiches – sweet & tangy sandwiches stuffed with BBQ tofu, coleslaw and pickles.
- Grillable Veggie Burgers – simple and delicious vegan burgers that are hearty enough to hold up on the grill.
- How to Grill Corn in the Husk – grilling your own corn on the cob is so simple and the perfect recipe for any cookout.
- Grilled Carrot Hot Dogs – the best soft and smoky vegan hot dogs you have to try!
- Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burgers – flavor-packed, juicy burgers that are easy to make with just 8 ingredients.
Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that we earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!