This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Take your morning to the next level with this Fall Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole. Loaded with seasonal veggies, fall herbs, and both vegan sausage and cheese, this easy-to-make breakfast casserole is the tastiest way to start your day. Plus, it’s great for meal prep! It’s effortless to make, so if you want to impress your friends and family for weekend brunch, here’s your chance.
If you’ve ever tried our vegan quiche recipe, this casserole is similar, minus the crust. The “egg” mixture for the casserole is tofu-based and seasoned with fresh herbs, spices, and old bay seasoning. If you’d like to make this gluten-free, omit the vegan sausage (or find a gluten-free one), and you’re good to go.
The beauty of this recipe is that you can fill the casserole with just about anything you have in your fridge, which makes it the perfect recipe to cook up when you have a bunch of veggies that are about to spoil. Since fall is in full effect, we decided to use sweet potatoes and autumnal herbs, but the possibilities are endless.
Here’s What You To Make This Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole
- Veggies – We use sweet potato, mushrooms, bell peppers, kale, and onions for our casserole. Since this recipe is great to use up leftovers, feel free to add or subtract ingredients based on what you have on hand.
- Garlic – Fresh garlic cloves help take this recipe to the next level. If you don’t have a fresh garlic clove or two (or four) on hand, you can always use garlic powder instead.
- Vegan Cheese – We like to use dairy-free cheddar shreds for this recipe, but vegan mozzarella cheese shreds will also taste delicious. The Follow Your Heart shreds new formula melts very nicely. This is also an optional ingredient, so leave it out if vegan cheese isn’t your thing.
- Vegan Sausage – The addition of vegan sausage in this recipe helps bring the flavor to the next level. This is another optional ingredient, but we recommend it. We have been impressed with the Impossible sausage. It comes in a savory and spicy flavor that resembles pork sausage just as good as I can remember. Both flavors will go great in this breakfast casserole.
- Green Onions – This is just for garnish. Not only is the addition of green onions delicious, but it also makes the presentation of the dish beautiful.
Now Let’s Make Our Tofu Egg Mixture
- Extra-Firm Tofu – We like to use extra-firm tofu for this recipe because it creates a thicker batter when it is blended. Extra-Firm tofu has less water than firm, medium, or soft tofu, giving it the perfect consistency to make this egg mixture. The tofu in this recipe is also a great source of protein.
- Nutritional Yeast – This will help add a cheesy element to the mixture. Nutritional yeast has a bunch of vitamins and minerals, which helps make this casserole even more nutritious.
- Lemon Juice – The addition of lemon juice in the mixture helps bring out the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Almond Milk – When choosing milk to use in this recipe, make sure it is unsweetened and unflavored. While we are using almond milk, you can use any non-dairy milk of your choice.
- Spices – The spice blend for this recipe is simple but packs some serious flavor. We are using turmeric mainly to give the mix a yellow-ish color. In addition, we are adding old bay seasoning, which is a blend of celery seed, paprika, mustard, salt, red pepper, and black pepper.
- Herbs – To freshen up our mixture, we add a blend of fresh sage, thyme, and rosemary. The combination of these herbs helps give this recipe a delicious fall-inspired flavor.
As noted above, the “egg batter” base for this recipe is tofu and yields the perfect consistency for the casserole. The trick is to add just enough almond milk to get the better smooth enough to pour but still thick enough to hold the vegetables together in the pan. The best way to describe its consistency is that it will be similar to that of brownie batter.
When it comes to autumn-inspired breakfasts, there are so many sweet options but not many savory options, so we thought this easy breakfast casserole would be a welcomed addition to a fall recipe repertoire. We hope you love it as much as we do.
Looking for more fall breakfast recipes? We have some delicious ones for you to try:
- Cinnamon Butter
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Breakfast Bars (Vegan + Gluten-Free)
- Sweet Potato Pie Smoothie Bowl (Easy & Gluten-free)
- Pumpkin Pie Chia Seed Pudding
- Vegan Pumpkin Bread
- Fluffy Pumpkin Pancakes
Nutrition facts label provided by Nutri Fox.
Disclaimer: The nutritional information shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional’s advice. This page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that we earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!