This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
An easy to make vegan-friendly cobb salad packed up in a mason jar and perfect for your summer picnics. Layered with homemade vegan egg, feta cheese, tempeh bacon and a red wine vinaigrette, it is bursting with flavor and is sure to keep you satisfied.
With picnic season in full swing, we are coming through with some full-flavored recipes perfect for the summer. This vegan cobb salad is simple to make and loaded with flavor. Traditionally, cobb salad has veggies, eggs, chicken, bacon, and cheese. Since we are vegan and don’t eat any eggs, meat, or dairy, we thought it would be fun to make an all vegan version of this dish.
Cobb salad used to be one of my favorite salads to eat as a kid. Probably because it was mostly protein and fatty foods smothered over the vegetables ????. It always reminds me of summer, so we were really excited to make a vegan version for the blog. The flavors in this salad are exactly how I remember the traditional version tasting.
To replace eggs, we used our tofu scramble recipe, which is so simple to make and so dang good. To substitute the bacon, we used our homemade tempeh bacon recipe, which we know you’ll love. As for a chicken replacement, we used Tofurky Lightly Seasoned Chick’n, and for the cheese, we used Herbivours Butchers Feta, but we also have a homemade version that is the great for it, too!
Mason jar salads are something that we have always wanted to create for the blog. We love them because they separate the dressing from the rest of the ingredients and keep everything in tact until you are ready to combine it all together. This way, the greens stay crisp and won’t be soggy once you are ready to eat!
How To Build a Mason Jar Salad:
- Grab a large mason jar — like using wide mouth 32 oz. jars. You can find these on Amazon, at Target or even at thrift stores.
- Pour your desired amount of dressing into the bottom of the jar. We like to add between 2-4 tablespoons of dressing, depending on the salad. The dressing at the bottom prevents anything from becoming soggy!
- Add in the crisper vegetables and fruits. For this cobb salad, that is the cherry tomatoes.
- This is usually followed by grains and beans but since we don’t have any, on to #5!
- Add in the protein. For this cobb salad, add in the vegan chicken and vegan bacon.
- Add any softer veggie or fruits that you are including. For this salad, add in the avocado.
- Add any roasted nuts or seeds.
- Add your vegan egg and vegan cheese.
- Lastly, top everything off with the salad greens of your choice. Add as much as you can squeeze into the jar, really pack it in there! Seal the jar and take the salad on the go!
- When you are ready to serve the salad, give the mason jar a vigorous shake to mix the dressing through, pour the salad out into a bowl, toss as needed and dig in!
If you’re looking for more picnic-friendly recipes, here are some of our favorites:
- Street Corn Pasta Salad
- Easy Homemade Guacamole
- Classic Deli-Style Macaroni Salad
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that we earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!