This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
A thick and hearty potato and cheese soup that is perfect for the cold winter months. This locro de papa is easy to make, requires just one pot and will be ready in about 1 hour.
Today I am bringing a recipe to you that was made with help from my abuelita 🙂 Making food with her, even when it is virtual, is one of my favorite things to do. It has helped to both connect more with her as well as my roots and it has also helped bring so many delicious new flavors and dishes into my life!
Locro is a thick and hearty stew that is popular along the Andes mountain range and is popular in Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, Southern Colombia and Argentina. There are many variations that exist, but today I am bringing you the Ecuadorian potato and cheese version.
A few notes on the ingredients before we get started:
- Vegan Butter: We use vegan butter for this recipe but feel free to use a cooking oil of your choice instead.
- Onions: Red onions will work for this recipe too!
- Oregano: Optional if you don’t have any on hand.
- Achiote powder: Also known as annatto or achuete. This ingredient can be skipped if you are unable to find it. Achiote oils are also available and can be used instead the oil + powder in this recipe, too, we were just unable to purchase it locally.
- Potatoes: We peel these but you can keep the peels on if you don’t mind them!
- Warm water and almond milk: Keep these warm so that they do do not ruin the pan.
- Any unsweetened plan based milk of your choice can be used.
- Cilantro: I know some people do not like the flavor of cilantro so you can skip this as needed.
What I love about this locro de papa recipe is how easy and approachable it is, so that more of you are able to try it out! I put as many notes as I could to answer any questions that you have about ingredients and I let you know what you could leave out in case you couldn’t find specific ingredients. And as always, have fun with this recipe and feel free to put your own twist on it! What I love about cooking is how much variation there is room for, especially when a lot of you may have different flavor preferences than I do.
If you like this Locro de Papa, you may also like:
- Vegan Llapingachos with Salsa de Maní (Ecuadorian Stuffed Potato Patties with Peanut Sauce)
- Come y Bebe Ecuatoriano Con Mango (Ecuadorian Tropical Fruit Salad)
- Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Easy Sweet Potato Lentil Soup
Nutrition facts label provided by Nutri Fox.
Disclaimer: The nutritional information shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional’s advice. This page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that we earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!