This Pumpkin Rice Pudding is the perfect sweet and creamy breakfast or holiday dessert to indulge in during pumpkin season. It’s filled with fresh pumpkin, warming spices, and the bold sweetness of molasses-rich brown sugar and is naturally dairy-free and gluten-free! Make this sweet treat for the whole family in less than an hour!
- 1 cup dry jasmine rice
- 4 cups non-dairy milk
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup pumpkin purée
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Wash the rice. Add the dry jasmine rice to a colander or fine mesh sieve and rinse until the water runs clear.
- Simmer with milk and water. Transfer the pudding to a medium saucepan along with the non-dairy milk and water, mix to combine, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat, cover, and let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in pumpkin, sugar, and spices. After 30 minutes, add the brown sugar, pumpkin purée, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Stir to combine, cover, and simmer for an additional 10 minutes or until the rice pudding reaches your desired consistency.
- Stir in the vanilla. Remove the pumpkin rice pudding from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Serve! Serve immediately while warm, or chill in the fridge and enjoy cold. We like to serve ours with an extra splash of non-dairy milk or a dollop of coconut yogurt.
- Storage Instructions: Leftover rice pudding will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator in the freezer for up to 3 months. Leftovers reheat best over low heat on the stovetop or in short cooking intervals in the microwave. If it appears less creamy after refrigeration, add an extra splash of milk before reheating to help moisten the rice and make the pudding creamy again.
- If prefer, you can replace these spices with 1 3/4 teaspoon of a pre-made pumpkin pie spice blend.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stove Top
Keywords: fall, pumpkin, cinnamon, breakfast, dessert