These Cannoli Cookies are the perfect Italian Christmas cookie! Soft, chewy cookies filled with a creamy “ricotta” filling, then stuffed with buttery pistachios and chocolate chips. Plus, they’re naturally dairy and egg-free!
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- ½ cup vegan butter, softened
- 8 oz. vegan cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon miso paste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (240g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted pistachios, roughly chopped
- ½ cup mini vegan chocolate chips
- Combine the sugar and orange zest. In a large bowl, rub the sugar and orange zest together with your fingertips until the sugar is slightly orange.
- Cream the butter and sugar. In the same bowl, add the softened vegan butter, cream cheese, and miso. Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together until smooth and well combined, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vanilla. Once smooth and creamy, pour in the vanilla extract and cream again until well incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients. Next, add in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the pistachios and chocolate chips. Add the pistachios and chocolate chips to the cannoli cookie dough. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the nuts and chips in until well dispersed throughout.
- Chill for 1 hour. Let the dough chill for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Scoop the cookie dough. Once the dough has sufficiently chilled, scoop the cookie dough into 2-tablespoon dough balls, then place them on prepared baking sheets 2 inches apart (use multiple if needed).
- Bake. Bake the cannoli cookies for 14-16 minutes, then let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely to room temperature. Serve and enjoy!
- How to freeze: Scoop the cookie dough into 2-tablespoon-sized balls, flash freeze them on a baking sheet until solid, then transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Storage: These cookies will keep best in the refrigerator. Let them cool to room temperature completely before covering and storing in an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 4 days, or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 16 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
Keywords: cookie, snack, pistachio, chocolate, miso