This Vegetable Rice Pilaf is an easy-to-make, healthy side dish that’s packed with nutrition, flavor, and fresh vegetables. Have it ready to serve with any main dish of choice in just 30 minutes!
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter (or oil)
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked white rice, rinsed and drained
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ cup carrots, shredded
- 1½ teaspoon chopped sage (or ½ tsp dried)
- 1½ teaspoon chopped thyme (or ½ tsp dried)
- 1½ teaspoon chopped rosemary(or ½ tsp dried)
- 1 ¾ cups hot broth
- 1 large or 2 small zucchini, cut into quarter moons
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Black pepper, to taste
- Heat the vegan butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the diced onion and salt. Sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, garlic, carrot, and herbs and mix together. Cook, stirring frequently, until the rice is lightly toasted, about 3 minutes.
- Add the hot broth and mix together. Bring the heat up to medium and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini pieces and mix in, cover, and cook on low for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and Let sit, covered, for 10 more minutes.
- Uncover and fluff the rice with a fork. Mix in the lemon juice, and parsley, and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve warm with more parsley and enjoy!
- You can also opt for shredded sweet or white potatoes! Both work well in this and will bring in a different flavor 🙂
- The nutrition facts do not take into consideration the addition of salt and pepper to taste.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 23 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free
Keywords: Vegan, Gluten-free, Stovetop, Entree, Rice, Pilaf, Zucchini, Carrot