This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Vegan Tortilla Soup is flavor-packed, budget-friendly and ready to eat in less than 30 minutes! Pair with our homemade crispy tortilla strips and your favorite soup toppings for a comforting, vegan soup recipe any time of year.
Table of Contents
Growing up, chicken tortilla soup was a staple in my household and it was something that we had almost weekly during the cold winter months. Creating this vegan version for you today really hit home for me and I am so excited for you to try it! It’s the perfect meal to make in large batches for meal prep or for a large family dinner when you don’t have too much time to cook.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Broth: We typically make this Vegan Tortilla Soup using our Homemade Vegetable Broth or a similar store-bought version, but it would also be delicious with a vegan chicken broth or beef broth. Use what you have or prefer.
- Aromatics: A simple blend of onion and garlic adds a flavorful foundation to the soup. If you prefer a more mild onion flavor in your soups, opt for chopped red onion.
- Diced tomatoes: Canned tomatoes add a tomato base to the soup. Plain diced tomatoes work well, or for a deeper, smoky flavor, try fire-roasted tomatoes.
- Black beans: The source of the plant-based protein in this vegan soup. To make this soup recipe as fast as possible, we opted for drained and rinsed canned black beans, but pinto beans will also work. If you only have dried beans on hand, cook them before adding them to the soup – there is not enough liquid in the soup to cook dried beans as written.
- Corn: Adds sweetness and additional texture. Canned, frozen, or fresh corn will work. If you’re making this vegan tortilla soup recipe during the summer months, use our fresh Grilled Corn!
- Spices: A simple blend of ground cumin, chili powder, and dried oregano seasons the soup without overpowering the flavor. If you like your soup spicy, add a chopped chipotle chili in adobo or a 1/4 teaspoon of chipotle powder (adjust to your personal spice level).
- Tortilla strips: Use either homemade or store-bought crispy tortilla strips. We’ve included a recipe to help you make your own tortilla strips down below in the recipe card! Or, if you’re out of corn tortillas, opt for crushed Tortilla Chips instead!
Optional Add-ins and Variations
- Add bell pepper: Any colored bell peppers will work well in this soup. For a sweeter flavor, use red bell pepper. For a more bitter flavor, use green bell pepper.
- Add zucchini: Turn this vegan tortilla soup into a vegetable tortilla soup and add your favorite summer squash and zucchini.
- Make it creamy: Tortilla soup is traditionally brothy, but if you prefer creamier soups, add a splash of coconut milk to taste.
- Add rice: If you’re looking for a hearty soup, stir cooked brown rice into the final soup. This will add extra substance and texture that will keep you full and satisfied longer.
How to Make Vegan Tortilla Soup
- Sauté the onions and garlic. In a large pot over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable broth. Once hot, add in the onions and garlic. Sauté for until translucent and fragrant, a few minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients. Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, black beans, corn, and spices. Stir until well combined.
- Bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat to a simmer and allow the vegan tortilla soup to cook for 15 minutes more.
- Fry the tortilla strips. While the soup simmers, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat for a few minutes. Once the oil is hot, add the tortilla strips in a single layer and fry until crisp and golden, about 1 minute. Once finished, remove the strips from the hot oil using tongs or a slotted spoon and transfer the tortilla strips to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Season and serve. Stir in the freshly chopped cilantro, then season with salt and black pepper to taste. Serve with crispy tortilla strips, along with avocado slices, additional fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of lime, or as desired.
Hearty soups are one of our favorite meals to make when we need a large pot of something easy for a quick meal prep or a quick, comforting dinner for weeknights.
As is, this soup is delicious and filling but we highly recommend topping it with your favorite toppings such as lime wedges, roughly chopped cilantro, green onions, creamy avocado, diced red onion, vegan sour cream and vegan cheese or nutritional yeast.
It’s also delicious paired with simple sides that compliment the flavors in this Mexican tortilla soup:
Leftover soup will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months. If freezing, store without the crispy tortilla strips and toppings.
Reheat leftovers in the microwave, in the Instant Pot using the sauté function, or on the stovetop until warmed through. If the soup is frozen, thaw overnight in the fridge or reheat from frozen. Add additional broth to make it thin again, as needed.
Make sure you tag us on Instagram @sweetsimplevegan and @consciouschris and hashtag #sweetsimplevegan if you recreate any of our recipes, we love to see your photos!Print
Nutrition facts label provided by Nutri Fox.
Disclaimer: The nutritional information shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional’s advice. This page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that we earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!