This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Vegan Broccoli Potato soup is made rich and creamy with silken tofu and is packed with good-for-you vegetables. It’s naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, and high in protein making it the perfect weeknight vegan recipe. Serve with a side of our favorite no-knead bread!
We absolutely love sharing new vegan soup recipes. They’re always pantry friendly, easy to feed a crowd with, and the perfect healthy comfort food to enjoy in the cooler seasons. This vegan broccoli potato soup is a hearty spin on our Copycat Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup. This version is nut-free and naturally lower in fat, but still just as creamy and delicious. If you enjoy creamy, cheesy soups, you’re guaranteed to love this one.
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make This Vegan Potato Soup
- Silken tofu: We wanted to make this vegetable soup high in protein to make it more filling. Silken tofu was the perfect solution because it not only makes the base of this soup rich and creamy but also adds 20 grams of protein to the recipe. For best results, we do not recommend substituting firmer tofus. Save those for recipes like Tofu Taco Meat and Tofu Scramble.
- Non-dairy milk: Any unsweetened, non-dairy milk will do. We prefer our homemade almond milk without added sweeteners. Lite coconut milk would also be a great choice.
- Nutritional yeast: Instantly adds a cheesiness to the soup, while keeping it dairy free. We have used the brand Bragg’s for years.
- Oil: A small amount of olive oil is used to sauté and soften the aromatics. If you’d like to make this vegan broccoli soup oil-free, opt for a splash of water or broth.
- Onion and Garlic: The start of any good soup! We highly recommend fresh onion and garlic over garlic powder or onion powder.
- Vegetables: In addition to broccoli and potatoes, we used celery and carrots to add additional flavor and a hint of sweetness. We used russet potatoes, but feel free to use Yukon gold potatoes.
- Broth: We used vegan chicken broth to pack this creamy soup with additional umami flavor, but vegetable broth would work equally as well. Note that vegan chicken broth is typically saltier than vegetable broth, so adjust your seasonings accordingly.
- Lemon juice: A final squeeze of acidity brightens the flavors in the vegan broccoli soup and ties it together. We have not tested this recipe with an alternative like apple cider vinegar and cannot recommend one.
How to Make Vegan Broccoli Potato Soup
- Make the creamy base. Add the silken tofu, nutritional yeast, and non-dairy milk to a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- Sauté the aromatics. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and ½ teaspoon salt and sauté for about 4 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except lemon juice. Add the vegetable broth to the pot along with the blended silken tofu cream, broccoli, potatoes, carrot, nutmeg, black pepper, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are fork-tender and the soup has thickened. Remove the vegan broccoli soup from the heat.
- Season to taste. Remove the vegan broccoli soup from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve warm. Garnish with fresh chives and enjoy!
This soup is hearty enough to enjoy on its own as a main dish, but it also pairs well with some of our favorite toppings and side dishes. Here are a few ideas to inspire you:
- 5-Ingredient Croutons
- Crispy Vegan Bacon
- Brussels Sprouts Caesar Salad
- Grilled Romaine Lettuce
- 4-Ingredient No Knead Bread
We have quite a collection of vegetarian and vegan-friendly soup recipes on the blog. Vegan Miso Soup, Vegan Tortilla Soup, Vegan Sinigang, and Easy Split Pea Soup are among our most popular. Or, see all of our soup recipes and find your new favorite.
Yes! Since this vegan broccoli soup is made dairy-free, you won’t need to worry about any dairy creams separating upon defrosting. Win-win!
The veggie broth is almost always gluten-free, but it’s always a good idea to check the label if you are intolerant. Or, opt for making a homemade version! It’s quick, easy, and guaranteed to be free of potential cross-contamination.
Frozen broccoli will work, but it will release more moisture than fresh and may require a slightly longer simmer time to thicken up to your desired consistency.
This vegan broccoli potato soup will store well in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for 3 months. Allow the soup to cool to room temperature before storing it to prevent condensation build-up.
To reheat, place your desired serving size in a microwave-safe bowl and heat through until warm. Alternatively, warm through on the stovetop in a small pot. Garnish with additional fresh chives and salt and pepper.
More Vegan Soup Recipes You May Like:
- Vegan Locro De Papa (Ecuadorian Potato and Cheese Soup)
- Instant Pot Lentil Noodle Soup
- One-Pot Vegetable Noodle Soup
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Potato Leek Soup