This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Vegan Tofu Egg Salad is perfect for quick lunches and high-protein vegan meal prep. It’s made in just 5 minutes with 10 simple ingredients. Enjoy as a sandwich filling, veggie and cracker spread, or turn it into a healthy salad and serve it over leafy greens.
Can I use tofu as an egg substitute?
Not only can you use tofu as an egg substitute, but it makes an amazing egg substitute at that! It’s equally rich in protein, has a similar creamy consistency, and as a bonus, contains no cholesterol. When paired with simple ingredients like kala namak and other seasonings, tofu can be used to convincingly replace a number of egg dishes. After making tofu egg salad, try our Potato & Leek Tofu Quiche, Tofu Scramble, Vegan Eggs Benedict, or this Breakfast Casserole. Once you get comfortable making the vegan version of these classics, you won’t go back!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Tofu: We tested this egg salad recipe with a variety of tofu firmness, and firm tofu was our favorite. It was firm enough to keep some texture but soft enough to remain moist and creamy. If you prefer a softer, creamier egg salad, feel free to use a medium-firm tofu. Conversely, if you prefer a more textured egg salad, use extra-firm tofu.
- Spices: You’ll need a simple blend of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and turmeric (for a slightly yellow color).
- Fresh herbs: Green onion and fresh flat-leaf parsley add brightness and fresh flavor. Other great herbs to try here include fresh dill or fresh chives.
- Mustard: Our favorite is a grainy mustard like dijon mustard, but if you prefer a milder mustard, yellow mustard is a good option. Most dijon mustard brands are vegan, but some are made with non-vegan processes. Refer to this dijon mustard guide to determine which brands are vegan friendly.
- Vegan mayonnaise: Traditional egg salad is made with mayonnaise and vegan mayonnaise makes a perfect swap that tastes exactly like the real thing. We typically use store-bought vegan mayonnaise, but feel free to use a homemade version. Try this Easy Vegan Mayo Recipe (oil-free!).
- Kala namak (black salt): The secret ingredient that gives your tofu egg salad an eggy flavor and pungent smell. This ingredient can be difficult to find in mainstream grocery stores, but check Indian grocery stores or purchase it online. If needed, replace it with regular salt.
How to Make Vegan Tofu Egg Salad
- Mash the tofu. Place the firm block of tofu in a large bowl and mash it into a crumbled consistency using a potato masher or large fork. If you are using a fork to mash, it may be easier to break the tofu up into small pieces or cut it into small cubes before mashing.
- Add the seasonings. Once crumbled into a consistency similar to mashed hard-boiled eggs, add in the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, green onions, fresh parsley, grainy mustard, nutritional yeast, turmeric, vegan mayonnaise, kala namak. Mix to combine, then season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve. Enjoy immediately spread on sliced sandwich bread as a delicious vegan egg salad sandwich, over greens, or with crackers.
If you’re planning on prepping this vegan egg salad for meal prep, store the egg salad separately from the bread. This will help prevent the sandwich bread from becoming soggy. Instead, keep the egg salad in an airtight or plastic wrap-covered container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Freezing is not recommended. Doing so will change the texture of the tofu and make the egg salad watered down with excess moisture.
Yes! Tofu is safe to eat raw and this eggless egg salad recipe is no exception!
Tofu is very neutral in flavor and makes an excellent base for a variety of recipes. The key to enjoying good tofu is seasoning it properly. Tofu is like a sponge and absorbs the flavor of any marinade or seasonings you pair it with! Give it a try with one of our several tofu recipes!
No, using a tofu press to remove excess water from the tofu is not necessary in this recipe. Simply remove it from the packaging and mash it in a mixing bowl with the remaining ingredients.
More Vegan Sandwich Recipes You May Enjoy:
- Easy Vegan Chicken Salad – This protein-packed recipe is made with soy curls instead of chicken and equally as creamy and delicious as the classic.
- Classic Vegan Tuna Salad – Chickpeas are an excellent substitute for tuna. All you need is 9 ingredients!
- Homemade TTLA Sandwich – If you’ve ever had the vegan BLT-inspired sandwich from Whole Foods, you’ll love this one!
- Buffalo Tofu Sandwich – Spicy buffalo tofu paired with romaine, tomato, red onion, and a cool vegan ranch.
- Vegan Cuban Sandwiches – Swaps the meat with seitan. You won’t believe how realistic this tastes.
Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that we earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!